Processing payroll manually is time-consuming and error-prone. Thankfully, small business owners looking to automate payroll and tax filing have several cloud-based options open to them. SurePayroll, a Paychex company, is among the most affordable payroll service providers for small businesses. It includes useful features such as unlimited payroll runs, automatic tax filing, benefits administration, and new hire reporting. If you need a streamlined and budget-friendly payroll solution, read our in-depth review of SurePayroll software to decide if it is right for your business needs.
- Affordable pricing
- Flexible plans with full-service, self-service, and add-on options
- Employee portal
- Mobile app
- DIY tax-filing option
- Extra charges for multistate filings, managing W2s and 1099s, and integrations
- Dated interface
- Limited reporting capabilities
- No employee onboarding feature
When to Use
SurePayroll is a great option for:
- Sole proprietors, microbusiness owners, and small business owners – SurePayroll provides affordable payroll software with basic HR functionalities. It is among the popular providers of small business payroll solutions.
- Household employers – SurePayroll has specialized tools and features to run payroll for nannies and other domestic employees, such as Schedule H preparation and a nanny taxes compliance guide.
- Restaurant owners – Rated among the best restaurant payment solutions, SurePayroll offers many restaurant-specific features, including custom reporting, multiple pay scheduling, and tip tracking. You can integrate it with restaurant accounting software to get the best value for your business.
- Small business owners who need to run payroll on the go – SurePayroll has an iOS and Android mobile app that allows employers to process payroll anytime and from anywhere.
SurePayroll is not fit for –
- Large companies – Large enterprises or companies with expansion plans may find SurePayroll’s plans too simplistic as they are not designed for scalability and complex payroll needs
- Companies with global employees – SurePayroll does not offer global payroll services.
|SurePayroll pricing and plans
|2 plans including –
1. No tax filing plan – $19.99 base fee + $4 per employee monthly
2. Full-service plan – $29.99 base fee + $5 per employee monthly
|Ease of use
|Easy to use, but slightly dated interface
|Compatible with iOS and Android devices
|Up to 6 months
|Unlimited payroll runs for employees and contractors, end-of-year reporting, processing W-2s and 1099s, no penalty tax guarantee, new hire reporting, employee self-service portal, time-tracking, and accounting software integrations
|Limited. Only integrates with accounting and timeclock software
|Live support for US-based users via chat, phone, or email
Access to customer representative during initial setup
Extensive online resources, including payroll and tax calculators, payroll by state, payroll glossary, and FAQs
SurePayroll Review: Pricing and Plans
SurePayroll offers two plans, as follows:
- No Tax Filing Plan, which costs $19.99 monthly plus $4 per employee or contractor paid. If you opt for this plan, you have to handle tax filing yourself.
- Full-Service Plan, which costs $29.99 monthly plus $5 per employee or contractor paid. This plan includes automated payroll tax filing.
Both plans include:
- Flexible payroll options, including auto payroll
- Unlimited payroll runs
- Direct deposit and online pay stubs
- Deductions for benefits
- New hire reporting
- Live support for US-based customers
- Access to HR forms, online guides, and compliance posters
You can purchase add-ons to customize your plan. You also have to pay extra for multistate tax filing and generating W-2 and 1099 forms. Add-on costs include:
- Local tax filing (for Ohio and Pennsylvania) and multistate filing – $9.99/month (for Full-Service plan only)
- Generating W-2s and 1099s – $45 annually + $4 per employee or contractor (for Full-Service plan only)
- Accounting software integration – $4.99/month
- Timeclock software integration – $9.99/month
- straustime integrated timeclock – $5/month + $3 per employee
#Note that these figures are taken from the company’s website. However, SurePayroll pricing is quote-based, so you need to contact a sales representative for a comprehensive quote. Also, additional charges per payroll may apply for some services.
SurePayroll Review: Ease of Use
SurePayroll is easy to set up and operate. The company provides a detailed setup wizard for a new account setup. If new users need assistance, representatives are always available to help.
The interface is clean and intuitive and offers easy access to the software’s various functionalities. The dashboard also features an in-app help section that provides access to how-to guides and live support options.
Advantages and Disadvantages of SurePayroll
SurePayroll offers a complete payroll solution to small business owners at lower-than-average pricing. Even with add-ons, SurePayroll costs are more budget-friendly as compared to some of its competitors on the market.
Payroll tax processing
If you opt for the Full-Service plan, the software automatically completes Forms 940, 941, and 943 and remits payroll taxes before the due date.
This feature supports both check payments and direct deposits. The software automatically generates Form 1099 for end-of-year reporting and allows contractors to access their payment histories from the platform.
Access to benefits
SurePayroll offers integrated access to employee benefits such as workers’ compensation, 401(k) plans, retirement plans, health insurance, and pre-employment screening.
If you have a dispersed workforce, it can be daunting to understand payroll requirements and employment laws of various states. SurePayroll makes this task easier with its extensive online help resources that include information on payroll by state, payroll glossary, payroll and tax calculators, and comprehensive FAQs.
Specialized features for nanny and household services
A distinct advantage of SurePayroll is that it features Schedule H, which domestic employers need when they report household employment taxes to the IRS. The portal also provides access to a compliance guide for nanny payroll taxes.
Accountant partner program
SurePayroll partners with accountants and allows them to resell the company’s payroll and HR services to their clients. This program allows accountants, bookkeepers, and financial service providers to integrate essential features such as payroll and custom features like white-label branding into their existing services.
Payroll on the go
SurePayroll’s mobile app is a handy tool for employers to process payroll and schedule payments on the go.
Inconsistent customer support
SurePayroll’s customer service may be a cause for concern. Although the company offers extended support hours and Saturday support, SurePayroll reviews on independent websites feature several negative comments about the support quality. Users complain about the long wait times before they get access to a representative.
Pricey add-ons and integrations
While SurePayroll is among the most reasonably priced payroll solutions for small businesses, monthly costs can quickly escalate if you buy add-ons such as accounting software and timeclock integrations.
Since SurePayroll pricing is quote-based, it is difficult to gauge how much you will end up paying unless you speak to a sales representative.
Limited report customization
SurePayroll’s report customization capabilities are quite limited. If you require more customization than what the platform offers, you have to export the report to Microsoft Excel for customization and save it as a PDF.
Limited third-party integrations
Unlike some of its competitors that offer robust integration options, SurePayroll only integrates with accounting and timeclock software. Accounting integrations include popular solutions such as QuickBooks, Sage, Xero, and Zoho Books, while timeclock integrations include TimeTrex, strausline, Homebase, and Buddy Punch.
Conclusion – Is SurePayroll Right for Your Business?
Our SurePayroll review says that it is a good solution if you are a small business owner or household employer. U.S. News rates it 3.6/5 on features and functionality and gives it a second ranking (behind Patriot) for Best Cheap Payroll Software.
The software is affordable and easy to set up. It comes with the basic payroll and HR functionalities that small businesses need, saving you the time and effort required for manually calculating payroll, processing it, and scheduling payments.
Other useful features include tax filing (with the Full-Service plan), benefits administration, new hire reporting, online resources, and a mobile app.
On the downside, you have to pay extra for multistate tax filing, accounting integrations, and timeclock integrations. Also, the range of HR features may be too limited if you are planning for expansion. If you are a larger enterprise, planning to scale, or need robust integration options, you may consider other providers such as Gusto or Rippling.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is SurePayroll secure?
In our review of SurePayroll software, we found that the tool is equipped with intrusion-detection tools, anti-virus, and multiple layers of firewalls. The company ensures data protection through 24/7 on-site data center monitoring, end-to-end encryption of sensitive data, constant backups, and secure access controls.